Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Announcement!

Hi Everybody!  Recent cuts in DOE grants have given me and a coworker the opportunity to take 5 weeks off work.  We'll be spending that time hiking the Appalachian Trail!  For those of you who aren't familiar, the Appalachian Trail (or AT) runs along the east coast from the highest peak in the north (Mt. Katahdin in Maine) to the highest peak in the south (Springer Mountain in Georgia).  The entire trail is over 2000 miles and takes about 6 months to complete. See map:

Appalachian Trail Conservancy Interactive Map

Tentaively, our plan is to start July 6th in NJ, near the NY border and work our way through New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and into New Hampshire.  The hike will start off easy and mostly flat, and gradually become more difficult in the Green Mountains of VT and NH.  have to return to work mid-August.

I'll use this blog to keep you posted on my plans and preparations, as well as the trek itself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad that I won't get to spend much time with you this summer but I am so excited for you. This sounds like it will be awesome and I can't wait to hear your stories from the trail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really MY baby ??? Wow. Give ME a Holiday Inn or Hilton any time I travel ! YOU GO GIRL ! You're one tough (Girl Scout) cookie ! What's next ?...audition for "Survivor" ? Watch out for bears. They are not all as friendly as Yogi. "Moomy" is very proud of you Baby Girl !

    ReplyDelete